Friday, January 25, 2008

University


Today, I am finishing out my first week of classes. It has been a long, and somewhat frustrating at times, week! The way my program works is that IES gives students the choice of about 15 classes to choose between, but at the same time allows students to enroll in courses at the University of Nantes (aka. La Fac) if they wish. Their advice was to simply attend all classes that you think you might be interested in, and choose which ones to stick with at the end of the week-a bit different from what I am used to (choosing my courses months ahead of time.) So, trying to fit in as much as possible and obtain the idea schedule, I quickly became frustrated realizing there were schedule conflicts between a lot of the courses I was interested in at the "Fac" and my IES courses. However, it is thankfully almost all worked out now, and I can start concentrating on book buying, homework, etc. My final class list is:
1.) Advanced Topics in Grammer
2.) US and France in the Middle east since 1948
3.) The European Union
4.) Religion, Society, and State in Modern France (maybe)
5.) Translation-at the Fac
6.) Microbiology-at the Fac

Although I am excited for having courses at a real french University with real french students, after attending courses at the University, I am SO much more thankful for my small, private college education. Firstly, in France, the students only pay a 200-300 enrollment fee each year for school, tuition is paid for by the government. You also don't have to apply or get accepted, but are automatically assigned a University that fits your future goals. So therefore, it seems to me so far that many (not all) don't take it seriously. For example, in both of my classes, (60ppl in 1st and 150 in 2nd) the students talked through the entire lecture, to such a point that I couldn't hear the proffesor! I was waiting for the proffesor in either class to get angry, but they seemed used to it! To me, it seemed so disrespectful, not to mention that it was interupting my notetaking... I think at Alma, the professor would have started kicking people out. The other thing about French University professors is that they often don't have Office Hours because they don't feel it is their job to help struggling students. They are paid to lecture for so many a week, and thats it. Someone explained that they aren't being mean, its just the way it is. So perhaps if I attended a larger college back home I wouldn't be so shocked! But I am constantly going to professors at Alma with questions and have taken it for granted that they know me by name and are always willing to help.

That all sounded very negative toward the University, but the classes I am taking are really all very interesting so far and I am very excited about this semester because 5 of my 6 courses aren't offered at Alma. The IES courses are refreshing because, as its only Americans, the proffesor speaks a bit slower to accomodate us. But I think in general, the experience of the two types of classroom enviroments is going to be great to have in the long-run.

3 Other bits of news: Firstly, as I'm sure you are all dying to know... I finally went out and bought some boots :) Only 17.50 Euros, so that justified it for me. I feel so much more European now. I am including a picture of me modeling them , which I feel kind of ridiculous posting, but whatev. Secondly, I enrolled in a climbing class at the University with some friends so that should be fun to try :) and Thirdly,this weekend, I am visiting Mont-St.-Michel with the other students from IES! I am so excited!!! I have wanted to see this for almost as long as I've been studying french, so when I get back, I will be sure to post some pics! Until then, Bon Weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous, I want those boots!

Anonymous said...

Joye, good purchase. You look very European!