Wednesday, January 16, 2008

First Impressions




Today is my 10th day in Nantes. So much has happened in that small amount of time so it truly has flown by. However, I think its always neccessary to record your first thoughts so that when you look back to can see how much you've learned and/or changed. Therefore, the rest of this post will be just that.

I was told today that Time magazine wrote an article about Nantes in 2004 titled "The Last Best Place in Europe." However, when I first arrived, that wasn't exactly the impression I got. Arriving 3 days early, I was immediatly introduced to the rainy climate here. On non-rainy days, the winter is great! 45-50 degrees Farenheit so all you need is a light jacket, however, the torrents of rain, the wind, and the gutterless streets can make the other half of the time a bit of a challenge. Anyways, I spent 3 days exploring Nantes famous Castle, its cathedrals, its downtown, and my favorite..the local Subway. I also read a book and a half and watched a lot of French "Friends" and "Smallville." All in all, although it was difficult at first being alone, I truly can't complain about anything.

On Wednesday morning, my host mother, Madame Jagueneau, generously picked me up from my hotel and took me to my new home. I have a huge room on the 3rd floor all to myself, with a desk, coach/living area, and bed! I also met my host-sister Claire who is the most energetic 12 year old I have ever met. But she's adorable. She does a dance every time we are having something for dinner that she likes. Later that night I met my host father who is very kind as well. Still, it is a bit nerve-racking(is that a word?) at first to be in a complete strangers house. You just don't know what to do with yourself. Do you stay in your room? or just go hang out in one of the family rooms, hoping to have a very difficult conversation? Its even more difficult now that in Orientation we have learned the rules of french manners like "Never sit in the prescense of the mistress of the house unless she sits first" or "Don't be the first at the table", etc. However, they have really made an effort to make me feel welcome and to include me in dinner table conversation, and I'm sure it will become easier as time goes on.

On Thursday afternoon, I was dropped off at the IES center for my orientation trip to Tours. It was a bit intimidating to just start walking up to random people and starting to try to get to know them, a situation which is always a bit awkward..but in french was even more difficult. However, everyone was equally as eager to make friends, and although I still don't know the names of all 40 students, it was interesting to meet SO many French majors! since I think I am currenctly the only Major in my class at Alma. But anyways, with each bus ride, people shuffled around so that they could get to know people they hadnt talked to before. Upon arrival, we were informed that over the next few days, we would have 2 days of touring and a 3rd day of placement tests, oh, and that we were to be speaking french at all times, of course. We visited Amboise, Chenonceau, Cheverny, and Chambord. They were all beautiful in their own way and it was incredible to go exploring in their vast gardens, terraces, etc. I took SO many pictures, but, like anything REALLY worth seeing, a picture couldn't quite capture it. As for speaking french, I truly tried to speak it most of the day, but it was incredibly exhausting, so very often, our dinner conversations were in english. Its a very weird feeling to be constantly using a foreign language. I was describing it to someone as being an echo in your head. Because each time you same something in english, you begin to immediatly translate whether you need to or not. And That, my friends, is exhausting.


All in all, the weekend was very fun and relaxing, except perhaps for the tests, which went well for me, but were not fun at the time. So now this week we have class from 9-6pm in different subjects like Conversation, Grammer Reveiw, French Language, Course Conselling, etc. It is all very useful, but at the same time, it is difficult to get all the small errands done in between and still make home in time for dinner (which in France isnt until 8 or 9...now thats just craziness!) But I am sure that after this week, even with classes starting next Monday, that Ill have more inbetween time in my days.

As for other first impressions, most of the stereotypes are true. The french wear all black, they dont smile when you pass them on the sidewalk, many people smoke(although smoking was banned in pubic places Jan 1st), etc. The food is very good as well. However, Europeans dont seem to pack their food with flavor like Americans, who dump spices and sauce on everything! They prefer more subtle flavors. However, for me, the food hasn't been a problem, although, the Kallgren that I am, I must admit that I miss the occasional Hamburger, Taco, or Arby's Roast Beef Sandwich...mmmmh. The other big sterotype here is fashion. Which is true. Every female has a pair of very stylish boots, which come in very handy when it rains. Also, January is the month of huge sales everywhere in France, so although I dont want to spend a lot of money at the beginning, I am trying to decide whether it would be worth 30 euros to get a new pair of boots and blend in a little more for the next 4 months.

Aside from that, I'll be able to give more info once my classes start. Until then, I miss everyone and hope that everyone who is reading this is doing great! and don't forget to email/facebook me and let me know how you are doing!

3 comments:

Jim Allen said...

As cool as that castle is, I think I like that picture of your room better, mainly because my alarm clock is in it! And is that a Rin Tin Tin poster hanging over your bed. I am not sure how I know that, but I remember watching it as a child. Anyways, thank you for keeping a blog. It was nice for us now and will be even nicer for you later.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Joye! Get that pair of boots, you deserve it!

Anonymous said...

We need a photo of Joye sporting her stylish boots! And one of the Garden, the house ect!