Sunday, May 4, 2008

Danderin' Around Ir'land








So coming back from the States, I had 1 day to relax and recover from Jet lag before I left for Ireland. The reasons behind going may have been a little shallow (Allison and I had recently seen P.S. I Love You and had been easily convinced) but I was extremly excited to go. It was to be a 5 day trip covering Dublin, Blarney, Cork and Kinsale, originally only Allison and I but as time went on our friend Lauren from IES and Axel, a french friend, decided that they wanted to see the famous Green country as well.

So we arrived in Dublin Wednesday afternoon. and yes it was really cool! Our hostel was painted all these funky colors and we enjoyed learning some Irish slang such as when we were told we would be "dandering around the city" that night looking for a bar where we could try the famous Guiness. However, we got a little more sightseeing in, stopping by St. Patricks church, then sitting in on the beginning of an Augustian mass, and just exploring the city a bit. It was funny because throughout this whole trip we probably heard as much french as english, since there are so many french tourists in Ireland. So that night, we went to the famous Temple Bar district and since Allison and I consider ourselves "cultural drinkers", meaning only drinking when its truley part of the experience, we split a 1/2 pint of Guinness and could barely finish it! Wow, like cold distusting alcoholic coffee. Not my thing. So we moved on, walked around a bit more, got some Gelato, and returned to our Hostel. However, that night was a nightmere! Although cheap and convienant, we defineltly paid for choosing a hostel over a more expensive hotel since a middle-aged french man snored violently throughtout the entire night and we did not fall asleep until 4-5AM when he left early, only to be woken up many times by others leaving. It was probably one of the worst nights of sleep I have ever had in a Hostel but I guess it makes me all the more thankful that I have my own room to come back to!

Thursday we tried to fit everything else in. Trinity College, The Book of Kells, Dublin Castle, St. Steven's Square, Jonathan Swifts Birthplace, and every Irish souvenir shop in Dublin, etc. We even hit up the newly opened and conveniently free Tax and Revenue Museum, Exciting huh? It was great though. The guy in charge was telling us about the exhibits on counterfitting,etc and says something like "and over there, thats my old uniform." So I really am convinced that it has been his dream forever to have a little museum like that, and now all the exhibits are from collection. Furthermore, our 30 min evening chorale service was really beautiful and it was so relaxing to sit and hear classical music in English, since I have been so used to going to church in French. So on our way back, we tried the famous Fish N' Chips at Dublins most famous restaurant, only to find that they were REALLY bad. So I dunno if I got a bad batch or what, but I'll stick with my Amercain Long John Silvers if I ever get the hankerin for some Fish N Chips in the future. Overall, I did really enjoy my time in Dublin, but I have come to realize that big cities are often just big cities, and that for me it is soo much better to spend time enjoying the nature or small town authentic atmosphere of foreign countries.

Friday morning, bright and early, we took the bus down to Cork, and then over to the Blarney Castle, famous for the Blarney stone. The Irish make a sort of pilgrimage to this stone so they can kiss it and therefore receive the gift of gab/eloquence. The problem is that the stone is at the top of a tower over a ledge, so they actually have people there to hold you, and a camera to take your picture like its a Cedar Point ride. Afterwards, they give to a little number card and you can go see if you want to buy your picture. So anyways, we very much enjoyed the castle because it was out in the GREEN countryside. So, since we had to pay 8 euro to get in, we took our time, reading all the signs and making the most of the experience. I had meant to bring Lysol or something to wipe the rock before kissing it, but upon arrival, realizing I had forgotten, also saw that it really wasnt possible. You have to lean backwards, while holding on to two metal poles, while being directed by two old men on what to do. But it was fun and Im very glad I did it. Afterwards, we explored the Rock Close, with rocks that were shaped like all kinds of cool, mythical things, made wishes on the wishing stairs, and climbed a few very old trees :)

That evening we headed back into Cork so Axel could find his hostel, and we 3 girls could do couchsurfing for the first time. Now, for those of you who dont know, couchsurfing is an online backpackers travel network where you make a profile, and say that people can stay on your couch for free and you do the same for others, with reviews and rating system and a way to contact people beforehand to check out that they are legit. So we did all this for Cork. and ended up staying with 3 American guys who were studying in Ireland for the semester. We were all really nervous at first to try this and were worried it would be awkward, or weird people, even though we had already contacted them a few times, but it ended up being a great experience! Since all the students studying from their university live in the same building, we made a ton of Pasta and then they invited a bunch of their girl friends over to talk and just hang out. Even better, turns out, they are fans of The Office so I even got to watch the newest episode before laid out all the borrowed cushions and slept on the floor :) Very fun.

Saturday, we decided we needed to get out and see a bit more of the Irish countryside, so we took a bus for 45 minutes to the coast to a little town called Kinsale. This was probably my favorite day of the trip. We started on a 1 1/2 mile hike to Charles Fort and were very pleasantly surprised with the results. The weather was gorgeous, warm in the sun but with a brisk, strong Irish wind to keep you on your toes. About half way there we stopped to rest a small beach, covered with interesting shells and polished glass and stopped to snack and enjoy the beautiful view of the harbor town from across the bay. We even met this little stray puppy who wanted to play fetch with us for about 30 minutes. Continuing on our way, we found that the coolest thing about the fort was the views it gave of the water, since it was higher up, and, naturally, on a lookout point. It was so peaceful and we felt like we were the only tourists there which made it seem more of an adventure rather than just another line to wait in. So I found this spot on a look point, climbed up and just sat for about 15 minutes, soaking it all in: the wind, the water, the smells, the GREEN GREEN hillsides (did I mention it was reeeeally green?) and I just thought to myself : hmm...I think I could just sit here all day, just lost in thought. It was so peaceful and it gave me a few moments to reflect on such a crazy last few weeks, with Nicoles passing, reunions with friends, and now beautiful Ireland. I seriously felt like I had been living 2 separate lives as the contrast in events and emotions has been so huge. But it was so peaceful up there with the wind at times blowing fiercly and then in a minute not at all. and I just had to sigh and finally say to myself that I guess this is Life. God gives us blessings and hardships and you just have to appreciate the people and the moments as they come, and while reflecting from time to time, not get too caught up in analysing the past because sometimes Gods plan is too big and mysterious to understand.

I seriously could have stayed there for hours. However, from so high up, I saw a little path along the bay and couldnt resist wanting to explore more. So Allison, Lauren, Axel and I set off to go see what was down this little seaside dirt path. But...we got distracted. Those amazing green hills were just calling our names, so although there was a fence (possibly electric) we decided, "Hey, you're only in Ireland once!" and army-crawled underneath them. I was the first to go and as soon as I was on the other side, I got up and just took off running up that hill so exhilerated to have such a Classic Ireland Moment. However, the grass is about 2 feet high on those hills and in backless-clog-shoes, I tripped and planted my face in the grass about 20 yards from where I started :) No worries, I recovered quickly. We spent about the next hour running up and down those GREEN hills, taking beautiful scenery pictures, and some just silly frolicking-in-the-GREEN-Irish-grass pictures. All 4 of us were completely elated by it. And it truley just gave me a wonderful taste of the true beauty of Ireland. If I ever go back I will probably simply skip the big cities and go straight to the countryside, because that is where my heart really lies.

Returning to our couchsurfers that night at about 9pm, we were exhausted! However, we knew we had a French Toast Party with about 12-15 other students awaiting us. The thing was, we had heard that these guys make very good french toast, so Allison hinted that we would like to try it, and the next thing we new, it was party :) It seems the theme in their apartement is Make as Much Food as Possible, and Then Try to Eat It All. So I literally stuffed myself with French toast and Irish pancakes until I was about to explode, and then around 11 we started Mafia. A wonderful card/group game where everyone is secretly given a position and then the townspeople must figure out who the Mafia before they are all killed. I personnally happen to LOVE that game, so I had soo much fun as we played til about 1:30am. I think we all really enjoyed meeting this whole group of people, because they were so fun and welcoming, and it just was awesome to hang out with these random strangers united by the fact that we were all poor college students loving our time abroad! But it was great that we all just clicked. They were even Switchfoot and Lord of the Rings fans! How much luckier could I have gotten? Following Mofia, we were shown their video of their backpacking trip through Scotland, including the Braveheart reenactment, and finally went to bed around 2:30 to wake up at 5am for our flight.

So needless to say...we slept through most of our layover in London and got back to Nantes, so thankful to have a nice warm bed, with no snoring French man to keep us awake :) It was an unforgettable 5 days and I absolutely fell in love with the Irish countryside! So now I am just hoping that I will have the opportunity one day to go back and see all the rest!

1 comment:

Jim Allen said...

Hey der lassie,

I must say, I love that last picture.

And when you wrote about army crawling under the fence and then face-planting it a few yards away, I smiled from ear to ear. Reminded me of Uncle John's. :) I love.